Saturday, September 1, 2012

CTC Unit 4 in review

So we had a lot of fun this week, were still schooling around the kitchen table. 
Little Miss Sunshine tried to make them all uniform sizes.
We used an envelop to store the yarn and straw pieces for the second day.  
This fine motor skill was a bit of a chore for Sweet Potato,
but she she finally managed to get all those straw beads on the yarn. 
The water color this week was super fun, I do like the wet paper painting. 
I do not know how I managed to have flat bread (It's Indian Naan)
Yogurt, almonds, white cheese, figs, and raisins in the house.
But I'm sure glad we did! 

They even tried to use dishes that would have been available in ancient times.
Ceramic cups and bowls in earth colors. 
They really got into it, and raided my closet of Indian Salwar Chemise's.
They were going for the authentic look. 
Although I don't think girls were shepherd's back then... 
 The science experiment... they cut up a cardboard box to back their cougars.
I found a deer illustration and printed it out for them


Um Mom what happens when the cougar doesn't land in the square?
Here is my masterpiece, I really enjoyed this project. It is fun to play with paint again!
 Notebooks are so beautiful Little Miss Sunshine chose Joseph's coat.
Sweet Potato picked Rachael dying in child birth.


You just can't guess what will resonate with your child. I think Sweet Potato doesn't understand grief. Looking back on this unit. I had much trouble getting her to complete her work in a timely manner. I wonder if the loss of Rachael in the story triggered the oppositional behavior, unwillingness to work, and extreme dawdling she displayed this week. She has to deal with the grief and loss of her first family, seemingly lurking in her mind just waiting to ambush her. I think it overwhelms her. I'm glad school gave her an opportunity to explore it in a safe way. 


I could have done without the chip on the shoulder it brings!!! I felt like a wash rag wrung out and hung out to dry by Friday night. I keep telling My Knight in Shining Armor to say "It will get better." instead of "Oh you poor thing." I find if I start traveling down that road of "poor me" I loose all perspective. I become selfish, no longer a help-meet, but rather a helpless me. It's a slippery slope, school is a joy and a sorrow it is REAL LIFE played out in my living room. I have to admit, I'm am glad to see them go to bed at 9pm and have the quietness, peace, and silence of my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment