Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thrift Store Christmas Dress Hacks

OK so I'm terrified of satin, silk, taffeta, all the if you poke them with a pin they get snagged fabrics, which is why I have never even tried to make my kids christmas party dresses out of these fabrics. I have been known to make them out of cotton and make them look like Laura Ingalls. This year in my desire to have Christmas done early, yesterday as I was waiting for our Christmas photos to print... I thought hey lets run down to the thrift store and see what they have... it's not prom season when the price of prom dresses rises to 30$ and it's not really time for buying a Christmas dress... so off we went.  After looking in the wrong rack and finding some things we might be able to hack. Little Miss Sunshine found the RIGHT rack full of taffeta, and satin.

We grabbed all the size 1 and size half and even a size 8 and ran into the changing room. Little Miss Sunshine fell in love with a electric blue dress that was 2 sizes too big. Sweet Potato just loved the softer green size 8 Jessica Mcclintock. Both were strapless dresses and both girls insisted the dress be tight tight... meanwhile Mom said it was ok only if I could make straps for each dress. Really who wants to be tugging your dress back into place all evening????

I tried to document how I took 2 dresses that were the wrong size and made them fit.  This was much easier because they are strapless, if the dress you pick has sleeves you may need a much bigger hack...
So here is the dress we found, first I put it on her inside out and then basted tucks on the inside. She is standing on a footstool in her "high" heel shoes. 
Once I figured out the hem I marked it. 
 I cut it very carefully! 
Then I trimmed the under dress. 
 From the scraps of trimmed skirt I measured out straps. 
 After I sewed the seam I edged it with zigzag to keep it from fraying. 
Then turn them inside out, use a safety pin and a chopstick. 
I attached the straps with hand sewing, due to the lace up back this dress
was very easy to hack into fitting well.
Here it is all finished. Easy peasy! 

Here is the soft green dress before we started. It is too loose and and way to long. 

Sorry for the bad photo but here is the hack all hemmed to a new length,
I made twisted straps so it won't fall down on her.
I also was able to take it in, in such a way I can let it out later
so maybe she will have this dress for a longer time than just one season. 
Not bad for $12 I'd say. 

1 comment:

  1. Prom dress makes a woman look beautiful in any situation.
    Especially after a long prom dress/casual dress, it looks even

    hotter on any occasion/seasons.This dress is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete