Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Comfort Soup (vegan)

The cold days are turning memories over in my mind. I recall a winter day I visited my friend Ruby, she was making potato soup for the first time. Even tho I had never made it before in my life, she turned to me for advice. She had wasn't yet a confidant a "cook." I was fascinated by the recipe it included milk, butter, and all these veggies. The picture showed a white soup, but the recipe called for pureeing the soup at the end. We ended up with a orange tinted soup that tasted out of this world. It's a great soup for cold wintry days, when the cold wind blows as it warms the house as it cooks.  Now this version is my own, I do like a stick of butter tossed in... the vegans at the office do not.  Since I've made this version plenty of times as a low fat option I know its still yummy without all those extra calories. If you want a non vegan version you can add in chopped ham as a garnish when you serve it.   Cooking it in 2 pots helps make the base a creamy color not bright orange.  I specify Yukon Gold potatoes these have a natural creaminess, since were not adding any fat that creaminess is needed. If you are going to drop in a stick of butter you can you reds or Idahos, even then I'd still use Yukon's if you can get them.


 Comfort soup
5 Pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and chopped
2 Pounds of carrots peeled and sliced
1 bunch of celery washed and chopped
1 large white onion chopped in chunks
3 boxes of vegetable broth (or 9 cups)
5-10 pepper corns
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt to taste.
You will need a blender :-)
and 1 large pot and one stock pot.

In stockpot simmer 2 boxes of broth and potatoes with peppercorns and pepper flakes.
In large pot simmer 1 box of broth and the carrots, celery and onions. Simmer till tender.

When potatoes are tender (you may have to do this in batches), blend them till they are smooth. Always make sure the lid is on the blender before blending. This can get messy but the result is worth it. When its all blended mix into the stockpot, the pot of vegetables, season with salt and serve. Makes a big batch... O.K. half a stockpot which in this house is 2 meals worth.

Keep the soup on low heat and stir often if you are not serving immediately this soup is very starchy and can easily burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment