Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Favorite Pot Roast

So this is not a vegan meal, I'll just say that up front.
I've been making this pot roast since Cooks Illustrated wrote an article on slow cooking meat and what happens.

I buy as much meat as I can afford for this meal because no matter how much I buy its never enough.  The key to this meal is LOW and SLOW.  I used to make it in the oven but my slow cooker (like a crock pot) makes this fantabuliuos.  I know its not a word.  :-)  The good news is you can buy a really cheap cut and it ends up melting in your mouth perfection.   This is also a great meal for kids with oral sensory issues. The meat is so soft it doesn't' even get caught in Sweet Potatoes braces.  It's also a phase 2 meal (with cheating for those who cheat on  SBP Diet ) I know I know you shouldn't, but pot roast without potatoes... I just can't do it...

so here is the basics
a cut of meat that will feed your family I'd go for 2 servings each.
10 small salt potatoes (do not cut! leave whole so they don't "contaminate" the rest of the food).
4-5 peeled carrots chopped in 1 inch pieces
5-8 stalks of celery chopped in 1 inch pieces
1 white onion chopped in 1 inch pieces

Using Olive oil sear the meat on all sides.
Place in crock pot / slow cooker or an oven pot with a tight fitting lid.
Toss in all the carrots, celery, onion.
Put the potatoes on top and off to the side.
add water 3/4 up the side of the meat.

Cook for a minimum of 6 hours at 300 degrees F. or mark 3  for a slow cooker or medium heat for a crock pot. After 6 hours you can tun it down to low.  I like to start mine at 9 or 10 am and let it cook until 6 pm.

serve au jus  If your not doing SBP then you can make gravy with corn starch, if your on phase 3 you can use tapioca flour to thicken the jus.

Don't serve the taters to Your SBP target.
We like to eat it in bowls.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment